Use already existing Microsoft Project files for a new project planning. A planning template includes milestones, activities and summary activities.
For more information on how to create a planning template, see Save a planning template.
Open an existing project or create a new one.
For more information on how to create a project, see Create a project.
- In the project, on the Start tab, in the Section group, click Planning.
- On the Planning page, on the Templates tab, in the Action group, click Import Templates.
- In the drop-down list choose one of the following file formats:
You can load a template from your local data in these formats.
- MS Project File
- MS Project Exchange File
- XML File
- InLoox PM Planning File
- You can also select the saved templates in the InLoox PM Templates group in the gallery view.
If you have chosen an already saved template, the Load Template dialog box will be displayed:
- Choose between Automatic and Manual Calculation to define the working times of the related work packages.
Automatic calculation when using automatic calculation, all existing constraints will be replaced by a “Start as soon as possible” constraint. The activities and milestones are allocated in accordance with the planned start date from the planning settings (under “Direction”), independently of the project start date on the management page.
If backwards planning is being use, all existing constraints will be replaced by a “Finish as late as possible” constraint. The activities and milestones are allocated in accordance with the planning end date from the planning settings (under “Direction”), independently of the project end date on the management page.
- Manual calculation manual calculation takes the start date as the basis for the first element in the planning. All subsequent elements will reflect the structure of the template. In order to do this, all constraints in activities and milestones will be removed and replaced with a “Start On” constraint. The automatic planning functions are not used.
- Define the Start date as well as Work times for the planning elements if you have chosen the manual calculation.
- Select the Load resource data check box to load the resource information of a planning.
- Deactivate the Remove completion data check box, if you don't want to see progress information and resources in your planning.
- Click OK.
- The start date determines the date for the first (earliest) activity or milestone from the selected template. InLoox PM places the other items according to this time.
- You can load more than one template to the same planning. The multiple loading of the same template is also possible.
- The following templates such can also be loaded:
- Microsoft Project (MPP)
- Microsoft Project XML (XML)
- Microsoft Project Exchange (MPX)