If you combine several activities which are logically connected and need to be finished within the same time frame, you create a summary activity.
Proceed as follows:
- Create all those activities, that you want to combine, e.g. all marketing activities.
- Mark each of the activities by pressing Ctrl and clicking on each planning element. In this example, “event marketing” is supposed to become the summary activity.
- Then click in the ribbon on Edit and click on the right arrow in the section Arrange.
The individual activities are now indented.
- The summary activity “event marketing“ is visualized in the Gantt-chart as a summary bar. If you click on the arrow next to the summary event’s name you can collapse the subordinate activities.
- If you want to undo the creation of a summary activity, simply click on the undo icon in the upper left hand corner or mark all the subordinate activities of the summary activity and click on the left arrow in the ribbon in the section Arrange.
ATTENTION The duration of the summary activity is calculated based on the start and end dates of the subordinate activities. I.e. that a summary activity starts on the start date of the earliest subordinate activity and ends on the end date of the latest subordinate activity. If you change the start and/or end dates of the subordinate activities, the duration of the summary activity is automatically adjusted.